Friday, September 11, 2009

Remember what the Monty Python boys say..."Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition"

Ok, so that's not a song quote, but I think its got the best quote from a terrific movie. Plus, I'm going to talk all about Spamalot the Musical. :) So, I'm a musical theater nerd. It was my main focus in high school, and I minored in it during college. But, I am not your typical musical theater nut. I've never seen Rent all the way through. I don't know the entire plot to a lot of classic musicals. And, I have a sense of humor. I can make fun of theater and I even have a "musical theater" voice. Ask me to demonstrate some time...its great. Spamalot combines three things I love very deeply: musical theater, Brittish comedy, and Spam. I love Spam more than bacon. And, I really love bacon! Spamalot is based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Not only did it turn a classic movie into a musical, Eric Idle, an original member of MP, took it upon himself to make fun of musical theater. Its about bloody time! Musical theater, besides being a breeding ground for obscene stories about quick changes and hook ups backstage, is a prime candidite for being poked fun at. Something that has needed to be done for at least 15 years. Musical theater is a wonderful form of performance, and was certainly fantastic when it first debuted. That being said, I personally am so happy that someone decided to call musical theater out and throw it under a bus! The three songs that really do this are, " The Song that goes like this", "You won't succeed on Broadway", and "Diva's Lament(Whatever Happened to my part?)". I can't fully convey the humor in these songs, but if you have seen it...you know and hopefully understand. If you haven't had the opportunity....get off your lazy butts and see it!

Let's see....friend Bridal shower tomorrow. Church and golf on Sunday. In a week or so, a homecoming party. Good times to end the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment