Thursday, August 27, 2009

Talking 'bout a Heat Wave

You know what's so great about living in San Diego? The perfect temperature all year long. Bull! Its currently 91 degrees in the house right now. I have the big fan pointed directly at me. and its not really helping. But, I'm glad to know that its pushing the hot air around. Chase keeps going in and out laying on the cement in the shade until he gets too hot, then comes back inside curl up on th tile. I might join him later. Whenever it gets hot like this in late August, I always think about school. I remember taking the bus so early in the morning and freezing my butt off, and then sweating to death in the afternoon. It makes me wonder about kids going back to school. We have a elementary school a few blocks from us, and every once in a while a school bus drives down our street. Remember how excited and nervous and pissed you were that school was starting back up? I remember thinking about seeing my friends that I didn't hang out with during the summer. Wondering what order my classes would be in. I went to a performing arts high school. We had such an opportunity to study art, music, dance, and theater in a complete way. I so enjoyed my time there and the things I learned, that I'm curious whether or not other children will have the opportunity to learn like I and my school mates did.

Arts program funding has dwindle over the last 10 years, but we've only heard about it for about 5 years. I encourage you to look into ways that you can support arts programs in your area. Its amazing the difference that one person, determined to change things, can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment